Croatian capital town, Zagreb has a good vibe, lots of parks, historical sites, museums, good nightlife and exciting restaurant scene. It’s an interesting place to visiti in Croatia, particularly for couples.
Why we think that Zagreb is a perfect destination for couples?
- Zagreb is so romantic that even a city map comes marked with town’s best kissing spots.
- The Upper town still features gas street lamps. And they are lit by hand every evening.
- Funicular, in operation since 1893, is still running between Upper and Lower town.
- Lots of parks and a historical old town offer endless opportunities for romantic walks.
- Zagreb has lots of cafes with lovely terraces.
- Plenty restaurants for a romantic dinner.
- Zagreb has a great nightlife, and variety of street festivals.
Things to do in Zagreb for couples
- Have a breakfast at the Kava Tava. Their paper mats feature the best kissing spots in Zagreb.
- Visit the Upper town. Zagreb’s Upper Town is located on a small hill, and it’s absolutely romantic place to explore.
- Take a funicular ride. A funicular connects Down and Upper town. The ride is only few minutes, and a ticket costs 4 kn per person.
- Go for a romantic walk. A fellow blogger, Andrea, put together a post on Zagreb romantic walks. Check it out!
- Have a picnic at one of many Zagreb Parks. Zagreb is really a town of parks, and forests. We’ve wrote about Zagreb forests in this post re-published by Business Insider.
- Dine out at Zagreb’s top restaurants. We love Mali Bar, Mundoaka, and Mano.
- Bargain at Dolac, Zagreb green market. It’s located right behind the main square and it’s a perfect place to feel the pulse of the town.
- Visit the Museum of Broken Relationships. This quirky little museum is located in the Upper town, and it’s dedicated to love gone wrong.
- Walk along Sava River banks. Not too many tourists wonder at this part of the town. However locals love se promener along the Sava river. Here is a post on Zagreb itineraries for travelers.
- Spend a day at the lake Jarun. Another spot more for locals than tourists, the Lake Jarun is an artificial lake with cycling paths, lots of green spaces for picnic, restaurants and couple of night clubs.
- Visit Samobor, a lovely little town near Zagreb.
- Do like locals do – just relax at any of pavement cafes, and watch the world go by.
- Share an ice cream. In Zagreb you’ll find the best ice creams in all Croatia.
Accommodation in Zagreb for couples
- Esplanade Hotel – This charming hotel, first built in 1925, has aways been an important part of Zagreb social life. Rooms are spacious with luxurious bathtooms, double-casement windows, comfy beds, and a complimentary WiFi. We also love their on-site restaurant – Zinfandel’s.Room prices from 110€ per night.
- ZigZag Integrated hotel – ZigZag provides apartments and rooms at various location in downtown Zagreb. All apartments are well-furnished, modern and airy. Apartment prices from 60€ per night for a one-bedroom apartment.
- Hotel Jagerhorn – The oldest standing hotel in Zagreb, hotel Jagerhorn first open in 1827. Located in the heart of the city, but hidden from the sights in a courtyard, off the main Ilica street, hotel features 18 well-appointed rooms. Hotel has a nice breakfast area, and an relaxing outdoor terrace. Room prices from 70€ per night.
We hope we've given you an idea of Zagreb for couples. If you plan on visiting Zagreb, check our other posts about Zagreb: things to do in Zagreb, best places for lunch in Zagreb, must-try restaurants, where to stay, and Zagreb itineraries. We also have posts on Christmastime in Zagreb, and best places for a beer. Our favorite Zagreb restaurant is Mali Bar.
If you have any questions, please leave them in comments below.