If you are visiting Zagreb as a couple, and you are looking forward to some romantic sites, walks, activities, candle-lit dinners, and charming cafes, this post is for you.
Croatian capital town, Zagreb has a good vibe, lots of parks, historical sites, museums, good nightlife, and an exciting restaurant scene. It’s an interesting place to visit in Croatia, and it is a great place for couples.
Table of Contents
Is Zagreb a Good destination for couples?
- Zagreb is so romantic that even a city map comes marked with the town’s best-kissing spots.
- The Upper town still features gas street lamps. And they are lit by hand every evening.
- Funicular, in operation since 1893, is still running between Upper and Lower town.
- Lots of parks and a historical old town offer endless opportunities for romantic walks.
- Zagreb has lots of cafes with lovely terraces.
- Plenty of restaurants for a romantic dinner.
- Zagreb has great nightlife and a variety of street festivals.
Things to do in Zagreb for couples
- Have breakfast at the Broom44. You will feel the vibe of Dolac market where usually couples come to buy fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Visit the Upper town. Zagreb’s Upper Town is located on a small hill, and it’s absolutely romantic place to explore.
- Take a funicular ride. A funicular connects Down and Upper town. The ride is only a few minutes, and a ticket costs 0.66 € per person.
- Go for a romantic walk. A fellow blogger, Andrea, put together a post on Zagreb romantic walks. Check it out!
- Have a picnic at one of many Zagreb Parks. Zagreb is really a town of parks and forests. We’ve written about Zagreb forests in this post re-published by Business Insider.
- Dine out at Zagreb’s top restaurants. We love Mali Bar, Lari&Penati, and Gajbica.
- Bargain at Dolac, Zagreb green market. It’s located right behind the main square and it’s a perfect place to feel the pulse of the town.
- Visit the Museum of Broken Relationships. This quirky little museum is located in the Upper town, and it’s dedicated to love gone wrong.
- Walk along the Sava River banks. Not too many tourists go to this part of the town. However, locals love walking along the Sava river. Here is a post on Zagreb itineraries for travelers.
- Spend a day at lake Jarun. Another spot more for locals than tourists, Lake Jarun is an artificial lake with cycling paths, lots of green spaces for picnics, restaurants, and a couple of nightclubs.
- Visit Samobor, a lovely little town near Zagreb. You can take a bus from the main station. A one-way ticket costs 4.5€.
- Do as locals do – just relax at any of the pavement cafes, and watch the world go by.
- Share an ice cream. In Zagreb, you’ll find the best ice creams in all of Croatia.
Accommodation in Zagreb for couples
- Esplanade Hotel – This charming hotel, first built in 1925, has always been an important part of Zagreb's social life. Rooms are spacious with luxurious bathrooms, double-casement windows, comfy beds, and complimentary WiFi. We also love their on-site restaurant – Zinfandel’s. Room prices start at 130 € per night.
- Irundo Downtown Apartments– ZigZag provides apartments and rooms at various locations in downtown Zagreb. All apartments are well-furnished, modern, and airy. Apartment prices from 70€ per night for a one-bedroom apartment.
- Hotel Jagerhorn – The oldest standing hotel in Zagreb, hotel Jagerhorn first open in 1827. Located in the heart of the city, but hidden from the sights in a courtyard, off the main Ilica street, the hotel features 18 well-appointed rooms. The hotel has a nice breakfast area and a relaxing outdoor terrace. Room prices start from 80€ per night.
We hope we've given you an idea of Zagreb for couples. If you plan on visiting Zagreb, check out our other posts about Zagreb: things to do in Zagreb, the best places for lunch in Zagreb, must-try restaurants, where to stay, and Zagreb itineraries. We also have posts on Christmastime in Zagreb and the best places for a beer.
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below.